I’d like to share with you a little trick I teach my clients to help them manage their annoyance and anger levels.
Practice replacing your negative response with fascination (where it’s appropriate).
1. Your kids get really loud and that annoys you.
– You respond with “Wow! you really can hit that high note!”
2. You get annoyed or offended by someone’s use of foul language.
– You respond with “Wow! I’m curious what sort of adventures forced you to expand your vocabulary like that.”
3. Someone cuts you off in traffic.
– instead of getting angry, respond with “Wow! this guy is fast and fearless! has no fear of death at all.”
Very soon, you’ll train your body to boost good hormones instead of bad ones in response to negative situations.